Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My last entry from College Station, 2009.

Howdy y'all!

I apologize... It has been a while... Through a combination of lots of work, Corps and school, and hanging with friends, and getting this dawggone Army stuff done... I haven't been updating my blog all that much... I promise you guys that'll change, ESPECIALLY since I will be heading to Doha on Saturday. I'm GREATLY looking forward to going back, I get homesick every so often, both for Doha and for my friends that are and used to be there... I'm not gonna lie, I've been having some wiieeeerrdd dreams lately, not necessarily bad ones, but they've been involving alot of my Doha friends, which is unusual, but I just look at it as my mind trying to stress how awesome it is going to be to go back and see the few people I know that'll be there.... So yeah, I'm excited about going back! Not to mention that we're going to be flying to I think it's Shanghai for a week. Seeing as I've lived in Asia for a while now, but haven't been to China since I was young... REAL young... I look forward to going back! I've always enjoyed Hong Kong, and while the atmosphere may be a bit different... I'm all about that area of the world, so I look forward to going!! :D But anyways... To end this little bit about my Christmas break, the camping, random wandering, eating those Mighty Zingers, and ghost-riding of the whip that will be done in Doha is something I'm looking forward to big time... It'll be good to be back home... :)

Just as a little bit of a journal entry, for those of you who wonder what has been going on in my life these past few months, my pursuit for an Army contract still goes on, and over this past week they've had me running down to Houston and back to take some tests for my asthma I used to have 10+ years ago.... It's funny, the longer this process takes, and the more I have begun to hear about how it's a distinct possibility I won't get this thing, the more I've been looking at the positives at getting a job in the civilian world. I get to have a dog (probably what I've been looking forward to the most), it'll be much more easy to have a family early on than it would have been in the military (what I've been looking for the most, if ya know what I mean...) and just living a life on my terms (which both scares me and excites me). But then you realize you don't have that job security you would with the military, and you have to apply for jobs, and you have to do this and that, and all of this gets a lot more daunting... Scary but exciting stuff really. Pretty much that's what has been ruling my life as of late, that and exams... But who isn't bothered with exams right now?? :D

Anyways, ladies and gents, it would be almost wrong for me to write this and not include anything politically charged within it, so today I was planning on discussing how each and each year, religion is attacked more and more here in America. And since 'tis the season to be jolly, I figure I'll focus a lot on the fact that Christmas just isn't Christmas anymore... So it all starts with a conversation I was having a few years back where I ended our little chat with a "Merry Christmas and happy holidays..." First of all, growing up overseas and spending a lot of time in Muslim countries, I should have been more aware of what I was saying. But I think it slipped because I was back here in the States and well... We celebrate Christmas here, or so I thought. It's all over the news, schools are calling it "Winter Break" now instead of "Christmas Break", nativity scenes are being taken down across America from schools and in front of churches (that one puzzles me), and plays about Christ's birth at around this time of year are become less and less frequent. "Chistmas" as I used to know it, is completely dying. Now, as I mentioned earlier, living overseas has always stressed to me to be COMPLETELY open and respectful of other people's cultures, etc etc. So does this mean that I believe that a nativity scene out in front of a house or a church should be taken down.... Think twice. The fact that there are people out there who believe in the fact that it is truly offensive for someone to have something like the before mentioned out in front of their house is just completely foreign and ridiculous to me. Groups like the ACLU make me want to puke, stating that stuff like this is an example of how the church is trying to "creep it's way back into our government". For example, ladies and gentlemen, (slightly off the Christmas theme but nevertheless very close to my heart...) the ACLU attacked a news corporation and the military about pictures that show members of our armed forces praying (one such picture was one of a group of soldiers praying over a fellow soldier who had been gravely wounded) stating that since they are "employees" of our government, they shouldn't be shown praying or having anything to do with a religion. RIDICULOUS! The separation of church and state was put into place so that every American could be free to choose which religion they wished to follow, or not to follow any religion at all. This I am in perfect agreement with, and I'd be the first one to stand by it. BUT, using this as an excuse to force people to take the "Christ" out of "Christmas" because that would be the politically correct thing to do is dumb. It's completely asinine and stupid. People protest about our country's assault on their freedoms... OMG, the government is attacking my privacy, my freedom of speech, etc etc... And then, and here's what gets me ladies and gents, these same people turn around and tell me to stop calling that green plant, that I put decorations on in celebration of that special day on the 25th of December, a Christmas tree... Well, here's my outlook on the subject, since it's your freedom to say what you want under the whole "freedom of expression thing", it's my freedom to express my love for CHRISTmas and what it stands for, to put up a CHRISTmas tree and.... I'll stop there... So please, I'll continue to be considerate of your viewpoints, please be considerate of mine. Thank you America...

I love my country, and pretty much all of y'all who have grown up around me know that, but goodness gracious, some of the stuff we argue about here in America makes me laugh... And sometimes I really do worry about us... But the fact we can argue about this stuff alone makes our country pretty damn awesome huh??? So please, Lemme know what you thing about what I've said, and hell, if you're not from the States lemme know anyways... I'm always interested in new viewpoints...

So, my next post will probably be shortly after I arrive in Doha, or while I'm in some foreign airport.... It all depends upon internet and if it's free or not... haha!! So y'all take care, have safe trips to wherever you're spending your break. And have a good one!!

1 comment:

Brenden Westerfeldt said...

I loved it!! To go along with being scared about the future of this country, I can't believe how much we are getting away from the fundamental ideas that made this country great. The way people think these days frightens me. I just got yelled at for not thinking critically when saying that the principles that this country was founded on are being forgotten and lost. What happened to the idea that America was a place to come, where you can earn a living and make a better life. Hard workers get better rewards. Nowadays, democrats want us to take money from the people that work hard, and give it to the people that have to motivation to work and have no money. How unAmerican is that?!? People need to understand that if we get back to the basic principles on how this great country was founded, we'll be much better off than what we are now!!